Advanced Order for Protection Advocacy Training
This one-day advanced advocacy training focuses on issues that arise in Order for Protection hearings:
- The role of the advocate
- How to prepare battered women to testify
- How to identify and prepare exhibits
- How to assist women in making objections
- How to create a record for appeal
The training also explores problem issues related to OFPs and children, including:
- Orders for Protection on behalf of children
- Children as witnesses
- Parenting time/custody being given to abusive/respondent fathers
The training includes presentation, discussion, and mock hearings. This training is best suited for participants who have some experience advocating Order for Protection hearings.
The Advanced Order for Protection Advocacy Training is held several times per year. So far, trainings have been held in the Twin Cities area, but plans are underway to conduct trainings in other areas of the state as well.